Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine Day

Today is Valentine Day, so Happy Valentine's Day to all.

I took half day leave today, not to celebrate V Day but to attend Qing and CY's ROM. Congrats Mr and Mrs Chua! Since their ceremony is at 3pm, I still managed to attend a pump class during lunch time. Hmm... Working out during lunch time feels a bit weird though. The class is quit packed. So surprised to see so many people there!

I have attended a lot of ROM ceremonies but it was my first time attending at registry itself. The place is quite professional but somehow I think it lack of a human touch. Everything went on very smoothly, less the JP did screwed up some parts.

After which, the usual photo taking and LLT is forced to take the bouquet of flowers when thrown. Wahahaha.... I dunno what that means anyway. Then we moved off for a Hi Tea buffet at Royal Plaza Hotel. Seem like a lot of people also took leave to celebrate V day.

I did not planned anything special on that day as I believed that V day had been commercialized with everything from flowers, toys to set meals all prices had increased to sky high prices. Lucky me, I won a pair of movie tickets for Persepolis.


It is the poignant story of a young girl coming-of-age in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. It is through the eyes of precocious and outspoken nine year old Marjane that we see a people's hopes dashed as fundamentalists take power - forcing the veil on women and imprisoning thousands. Clever and fearless, she outsmarts the “social guardians” and discovers punk, ABBA and Iron Maiden. Yet when her uncle is senselessly executed and as bombs fall around Tehran in the Iran/Iraq war, the daily fear that permeates life in Iran is palpable.

The cartoon is one of the Oscare nominated animation this year. The story is good enough, however as an animation, it needs more to fight against those PIXAR ones. They should have used the story and shoot a real life movie out of it. Overall I gave this movie 3.5 star out of 5.

That pretty much wraps up V Day for me.

However something did bother me the whole day. Everywhere, can see couples carrying flowers but how come most of it is being carried by guys. Since the flowers are gifts from guys to gals, then how come the poor guys still have to carry the flowers for them? Hmm.... So since the gals dun like to carry the flowers then why bother to give them flowers, they are not appreciative of it anyway. Gals, a reminder, they are your boyfriends and not your slaves, stop asking them to carrying your handbags and flowers when yourselves carrying nothing at all. Pity all the male slaves out there! Can't blame the guys as well, as I know most of them did it willingly anyway. Sigh....

A "Happy Valentine Day" Polarbear

No comments: