Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Away from her...... A touching movie
The movie is about how a couple struggle when one of them got "Alzheimer’s disease". Married for almost 50 years, Grant and Fiona's commitment to each other appears unwavering. Their daily life is filled with tenderness and humor; yet this serenity is broken by Fiona's increasingly evident memory loss and her restrained references to a past betrayal. For a while, the couple is able to causally dismiss these unwelcome changes. But when neither Fiona nor her husband can deny any longer that she is being consumed by Alzheimer's disease, the couple is forced to wrenchingly redefine the limits of their love and loyalty and face the complex, inevitable transition from lovers to strangers.
This story really touches my heart. It got me thinking if I am Grant, would I do that same and send Fiona to a nursing home. Hmm.... At the moment, I dun think so. In the movie, I think Grant would not do it also but it was Fiona that wanna to go. Once at the nursing home, no visitors are allowed in order to let the patient settle down. However when Grant went back after 30 days, Fiona could not recognize him any more and Grant is determined to help her get back her memory. It does not help when Fiona grew attached to one of the patients. There was a few scenes that really moved me.
1. The visit that Grant went to the nursing home and before he event step in he already decided not to send Fiona in.
2. When Grant drove Fiona to the nursing home and just before they stepped of the car, Grant ask Fiona not to go.
3. The first visit to the nursing house when Fiona could not recognise Grant. That is so heartbreaking.
4. All the things that Grant do to help Fiona get her memory back.
5. All the things that Grant did to help Fiona get better when she fall sick.
6. The last scene where Fiona suddenly got her memory back.
Such a heartwarming and touching movie. The lead actress got nominated for Best Actress in Oscars and deserved it! Overall, I gave this movie 4.5 stars out of 5.
The show was very popular and was a full house. It happens that we bought the last 2 seats that are together and an old couple bought two single seats (seated at opposite end) that are left. What is heartwarming is, after the show, the old man actually walked to the old lady and offered his hand, and they walked out hand in hand. That is so sweet!
To you: "I promised you that I will never leave you alone whatever happens."
A "very touched" Polarbear