Friday, February 08, 2008

First 2 days of CNY, The Year of Rat!

CNY came and passed quickly. This year is like other years as well. Boring.

The first day managed to wake up quite early even though I slept late due to watching boring movies on TV and to "shou sui" as well. Got my 1st red packet from my mum as always. Hee....

After which, as usual going to my grandma's house where all my dad's side relatives will be there as well. Before we left the house, Oscar was whining so loudly, that in the end my dad decided to bring him along. Hee.. Actually me and my sis were very happy that Oscar is coming along with us.

So reached there, saw all my relatives, did the usual chit chat. Glad to see my grandma again, getting older every year, but glad that she is still healthy. So collected all my red packets, got one extra one from my younger niece. So embarrassed to get from her.

After that, we decided to move off as I intend to go gym but then my dad decided to make a trip home first to drop Oscar home 1st, this means I will be late for the class, so decided to stay at home to rot. Rotted at home for the rest of the day. Wahahaha....

On the 2nd day, slacked a bit at home before moving off to LLT's house for a visit, after which, was thinking to watch a movie but then GV website was experiencing high traffic. Seem like everyone got nothing to do and also intending to watch movies as well. Next stop my home, where we finally managed to book tickets for the show that I want to watch.

The Diving Bell and The Butterfly


This movie is based on a French memoir by Jean-Dominique Bauby who describes his life after suffering a massive stroke at the age of 42 that left him with a condition called locked-in syndrome, leaving his only means of communication as blinking his left eyelid. With some help, he managed to complete the book. The method was for a person to read out a series of alphabets and he blink at the one that he wanted. One blink for yes and two blinks for no. It was a tedious process.

The first half of the movie was shot as what he could see and what he is thinking after he awoke from his coma from the first person view. The second half was mostly on his flashback until the moment he got his stroke while writing his book. The plot itself is very simple but then it does brought out some touching moments especially on the things that he regretted doing and regretted not doing while he still can do it. I am very amazed by his perseverance and determination to finish writing the book. At the same time, it reminds me of to do the things that I ought to do and not to put them off until a point where I will regret. The author actually uses a diving bell and a butterfly to describe himself when he is paralysed. Being a diver, I understand how he feels when he tried to say something but he is unable to do so. It is a touching movie but not one of those tearjerkers. Overall this movie is worth 4 stars out of 5.

This movie is only shown at Vivocity so we went all the way to watch it. Surprised to see the whole place is packed. Hee…. I headed to my aunt’s house after that, where I lost some money on blackjack, not a very good start huh? Hmm…..

Still got 2 more days to relax before the 5 days of holidays are over!

A “need more luck” Polarbear

No comments: